19 May, 2007

I am an American

Someone at work asked me one day what my nationality was. I said I without hesitation I am an American. Actually the pc question should have been what my ethnic origin was. Then I would have responded unhesitantly to explain my features.
I may not have been born here but I have learned so much more about myself here in America than I could have in my native country. So when people ask me this question, I don't second guess myself. I don't hesitate to think about whether I'll get judged because of what I stated based on how I look.
Why do I rant about the middle east? Because I'm just sick of the hypocrisy. I'm sick that the U.S. has become such a overused target for all the problems that have been occurring there for centuries. I'm sick of justifying our country's economic and political interests while other countries essentially have the same motivations as we do. We just happen to be bigger and annoyingly patriotic about our homeland.
I've been living here long enough to see that citizenship or any permanent status of residency doesnt make an American. It's really very typical these days to bash the government as often as possible for all its missteps in protecting its interests in the middle east and national security but I seriously think we could be silently breeding self destruction if we fail to recognize our responsibility to respect the same country that offered us a chance to be free[to be ourselves]. I mean didn't we really all come here to America from different countries anyway?
Many people increasingly treat this country as a temporary stomping ground and leave like an ungrateful bastard child. I'll work here and earn my money. I'll breed my sub-cult and leave after I proliferate apathy. Sound familiar? Where the heck have down to earth, and grounded respect for your country values gone? I am no screaming patriot let me reiterate but to not honor your American experience is just plain unsettling. If I had moved to and lived in France instead of the U.S. I would likely be saying the same thing.
It's time to make a difference. No matter how small.

No comments: